Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Dream Castle, that turned into a Nightmare...

Happy afternoon everyone...
...hope you all are having a wonderful Thursday!

As you can probably tell from the post title, I've run into some trouble...

In my last post (February Turtle Trot Update), I shared photos of the Disney Princess project that I have been working on for my niece.  I had been making some really great progress on the piece...
However, I realized that evening (the evening I posted my update), that I hadn't allowed myself enough excess fabric for the finishing of the piece.
(Honestly, I don't know what I did!  I swear, I measured the fabric 3 times, added extra inches to it and still, it is not large enough.)

So, I had to decide what to do...
...continue working on the piece and cross my fingers that it would be okay, or start all over.

I decided to start all over!

I have been putting quite a bit of work into it the last couple days and I think it is looking pretty good...


There is a castle!
I did end up using white, 14ct. Aida fabric this time, but I think it is going to look just fine.
(I also used the B5200 white thread, since I finally bought some and wow...
it makes quite the difference.  I honestly didn't think there would be much difference between regular white floss and B5200 (white) floss...
boy was I wrong!)
I also bought some metallic white thread, that I am going to use for the clouds...
...so, all-in-all, I'm kinda digging the new start!

---

I am also declaring that I am officially crazy!

As you may be aware, I am planning on giving a lot of cross stitched pieces as Christmas gifts this year...
Well, I have just added 2 more pieces to list!

I am going to make the 2013, Woodland Sampler, from The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery for my son's tutor and former 3rd grade teacher. (She has become a very good friend to our family, too.)
Here is a picture of the piece...
(Picture courtesy of The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery.)

--I am really excited to start this piece, it so adorable and I know the woman that will receive it, is going to love it!---

And, I am going to stitch Sugar is Sweet Sampler, by The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery, for my son's principal. (Again, she has become a very good friend to our family, as well.)
Quick picture of the piece..
(Picture courtesy of The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery.)

So, how in the world do I plan to work on all these projects?
Well, I will be replacing 2 of my turtle trot pieces (2 projects that have not been started yet), with the above patterns...
...and, I am planning on having a 'primary' rotation of projects, which will include all the Christmas gift pieces and a 'secondary' rotation of projects, which are pieces that are for myself.
Most of my time will be spent with the primary rotation, but I plan on giving love to the secondary rotation, too!

At least I won't have any time to get into any sort of trouble this year, because I'll be too busy stitching!

---

So, the fact that I have all these projects planned as gifts, I have a very important question to ask my fellow stitchers...
Have any of you used a 'finishing' service?
If you have, which one have you used and would you recommend them?
(If you would rather share this information with me privately, you can email me at: curiouscarrie81@gmail.com.)

Thanks so much for any suggestions!
I know I won't be able to finish all the pieces and would love some ideas of people that can help.

Well, it is that time of day, when I have to head out to pick up my son from school...
...hope everyone has a wonderful evening!



16 comments:

  1. So sorry about your Castle. Heart breaking to start over.
    Love the new projects!
    Have never used a finishing service. Can't help you there.
    Hopefully the second castle will go smoothly. I would have given up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb!
      If the piece wasn't meant as a gift, I probably would have called it quits, too!

      Delete
  2. Love your new charts. Sorry about the Castle but at least you weren't to far on it.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes starting over again is less hassle than trying to remedy a problem, especially if you aren't too far in. I hope this one works out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I completely agree Rachel!
      (Thankfully, I wasn't that far into the project.)

      Delete
  4. I'm new to you blog so I thought that I would say Hi. I think that it is very brave to start a project over and it sounds like the changes that you have made will make it all the more special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog Kristin and thank you for your kind comment!

      Delete
  5. It's always better to restart then realize later that you don't have enough fabric. I love these patterns. Especially woodland creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've chosen some lovely projects for your presents this year. I think you need a lot of extra fabric for the clock because it's a circle, maybe that's where the measuring went wrong? Anyway you could keep the first castle and make a smaller version for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo!
      Yeah, I think the circle thing messed up my calculations! (I just hope I have it correct now!)

      Delete
  7. love your new projects, they're beautiful! oh its so annoying when you got to start over but its going to be fab when finished. Happy stitching and weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Summer!
      I sure do hope it will look pretty when it is finished!

      Delete
  8. Aww that is too bad. I am doing a round stitch also and I also measured wrong and I am going to be very close to the edge but I was too far into start over :( And I am just hoping I will be able to do something with it when it is finished. I love The Frosted Pumpkin patterns you chose!

    Vonna, The Twisted Stitcher has a finishing service and she does beautiful work. http://thetwistedstitcher.blogspot.ca/p/finishing-service.html

    ReplyDelete